Sunday, July 31, 2016

Things I've taken for granted in America

I have 2 days remaining in the USA before I return to Kuwait.  While visiting here, lots of people ask me about the differences.  I usually try to explain that we are more alike than we are different.  Even so, there are some things that are commonly found in America that are NOT universal.  Here are a few of the things I have taken for granted living in America.



1. Public Schools

Children who live in the United States are entitled to a free and appropriate education.  This is regardless of social class and intellectual ability. This is true for typically developing children and children with special needs.  I understand that all public schools are not created equal and would like to see the day where achievement gaps close between poor and rich children in America.  However, it is true that all children residing in this country can attend school.  This is NOT a Universal thing.  Every country does not provide this.  Some countries, such as Kuwait, do provide free public schooling to it's own citizens.  Some countries provide public schools that do not adequately prepare children for higher education.  I taught in public schools in the USA for 10 years, and I'm proud of how they prepare our children for the future.  I have come to appreciate it more now that I currently live in a country that would not allow my children to attend school free of charge.








This is a scene from my neighborhood in Kuwait.
There are piles of debri and trash in the background.
2. Public Garbage Cans and Recycle Bins
Keeping your environment free of litter is NOT universal.  In some places, the side of the road is an acceptable place to throw your trash.  This does not make the environment look very good.  If I have a bottle of water while driving, I can always find a recycling bin or trash bin when I get to my destination in America.


I snapped this shot outside of my parent's home in Ohio

3.  Grass and Trees
I miss the abundance of greenery living in a desert climate.  Yes, Kuwait does have trees and grass, but its it small doses compared to my previous homes.  I believe this makes a difference in the air quality as well.


4. Church
When I moved to Raleigh, there were so many churches to choose from, that picking one was actually a point of frustration.  In Kuwait, a majority Muslim country, mosque are the norm and Christian churches are rare. I have found one to attend, thankfully.  The church is not allowed to advertise and put a sign out front, but we are free to conduct our Christian traditions inside of the walls.  I definitely have taken the freedom to worship as a Christian in America for granted.



5. Mail
Wanna send me a care package in Kuwait.  I'll have to ask a couple of people about the best way to make sure I actually receive it.  It can be hit or miss.  If your stuff gets lost in customs or stolen before it gets to you, you might just be out of luck.



6.   C'mon now. This place is a national treasure.  I'm gonna miss it.  They have clothes, food, cosmetics, a pharmacy, office supplies, and random crap on the $1 rack as you enter and exit.  You don't know how good it is until it isn't available.  By the way, pharmacies located within grocery stores or big box stores are not universal.  If I want headache meds or allergy meds in Kuwait, I walk to the neighborhood pharmacy or pay a taxi to take me.

This is an intersection in Toledo, Ohio


distracted drivers



7.  Calm traffic
I was driving yesterday and tried to just take in the peaceful scene before me.  Motorist waited their turn. People used signals to indicate a turn rather than just cut one another off with no notice.  Nobody was honking randomly for stupid reasons.  This is a gift I didn't even know I was taking for granted in the past.  Notice the photo to the left.  You see a man looking at his phone screen.  He is a taxi driver with a passenger.  You can also see a driver two lanes over with the phone in his hand.  I wish this was less common where I live, but it's not....








8. English

I thought about this while traveling this week and had to add it.  English is a very common language. Knowledge of the English language can make travel easier.  During my trip to Thailand in December, I spent Christmas with about 30 individuals at a yoga retreat.  We were from over 10 different countries and we communicated with one another in English although it was a 2nd or 3rd language for most of the participants.  On international flights, pilots are required to speak English.  When they address passengers over the speakers, they usually speak the primary language of the airline company first and then repeat their statements in English.  For example, when I fly on a Dutch airline, the pilot greets passengers first in Dutch and then in English.  My language is certainly something I have taken for granted.  I don't expect local people to speak my language when I travel, but I find it helpful when I hear my language spoken in foreign lands.





No comments:

Post a Comment