Friday, July 22, 2016

Girl's Getaway Trip- Sarasota Edition

I loved this beach!

Make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold.  I remember learning this song as a young Girl Scout and the meaning rings really true with my life now.  I've spent the past two weeks connecting with friends in North Carolina (my previous home) and Florida.  My Florida trip was with my lifelong friends Ebone and Ke'Lee.   We've been friends since before we can remember. We decided to connect this year with a trip to Siesta Key, Florida.  We shared great laughs, caught up on news in each others lives, and created some new memories.  During my first year living abroad, I've met a lot of new people and have made new friends, but there's something really special about lifelong friendship!

Siesta Key, Florida has beautiful beaches that look "post card" perfect




Notice that there is a man pulling on the strings of the parachute  on the left side.  He is manually pulling these guys into safety on the boat.
We decided to try parasailing!  All of us were a little nervous about this, but I'm glad that the girls were willing to give it a try.  It didn't help that the first attempt was a FAIL, and there was a problem with the parachute. The guys running the tour noticed the problem right away and jumped into action to get the riders down safely and replace the parachute.  I was up next.  I rode along with two kids who I had just met.  They were too light to go up alone, so I sat in the middle and balanced them out.   I didn't feel like it was scary to take off or land.  I thought the views were really nice from 800 feet above the sea!  It was a great experience.  

i'm in the middle 

Ebone and Ke'Lee flying high

We had a nice meal before setting off on a little sunset/full moon cruise

Time for a sunset cruise 
 




If you are ever on the Gulf Side of Florida, be sure to check out the stunning sunsets 



The multi-million dollar homes along the cruise were like an added bonus


Our 5 days in Siesta Key was just what we needed. The week also included shopping, eating at cool restaurants, and multiple episodes of "Power", because the girls want me to become a fan (it didn't work).  We have already started discussing our next trip. Maybe we will take this thing international.  I vote that we spin a globe and throw a dart, but I don't think that's gonna fly with these girls.


We all need people we can be ourselves with








1 comment: