Monday, June 6, 2016

What I have learned about Ramadan





Ramadan began today.  Ramadan is a month of religious observations for Muslims.  During this month, many Muslims engage in faith based practices such as fasting, giving to charity, and studying the Quran.  Why is it necessary for me to learn about Ramadan even though I am not a Muslim? Some of the rules of Ramadan are actually the law here in Kuwait.  Breaking some of the rules could mean fines exceeding $1500USD or jail time.  Here are some of the things I have learned so I can keep my tail out of jail.


1. There is no eating or drinking in public from sunrise to sunset.  No morning cup of coffee.  No cool  bottle of water in the car after walking through the big parking lot in 115F temperatures like today.  Breaking this rules in public can result in the penalties mentioned above.  I found it interesting to drive past restaurants today at 1:30 and find them completely abandoned. Food is not publicly served during fasting hours this month. At work, we have been instructed to eat or drink behind closed doors if we must do so.  In case you are wondering, there are exceptions to the fasting rules for children, pregnant women, and people with medical conditions.

2 Modest dress is a normal thing here. We generally follow the rule of thumb that women should cover themselves from shoulders to the knees.  During Ramadan, we have been advised to cover our arms and legs as well.  While many women choose to cover their heads here in Kuwait, it is not a requirement for anyone.  This rule of optional head cover does remain the same during Ramadan.
This was the temperature earlier today.  Seeing this adds some perspective to the "No drinking " rule 


Now here are some general things I have learned about Ramadan. My job took time to have a meeting explaining some of these things to us.  We have a large staff that includes both Muslims and Non-Muslims.  I appreciated this information to help me understand the religious observation a bit more:


  •  Its it customary to greet people saying "Ramadan Kareem" or "Ramadan Mubarak"!  This is the equivalent of saying Merry Christmas. 

  • Work ends early this month for most jobs and businesses have shortened hours of operation.  For example, my job's Ramadan hours are 9:30am until 1pm.   

  • During the month of Ramadan, it is traditional to fast from sunrise to sunset.  Individuals usually get up early before sunrise for a morning meal called Suhur.  In the evening after sunset, there is a large meal called Iftar. 
I am posting some photos of an Iftar dinner hosted by my job tonight.   This was also our End of Year Staff Dinner.  We gathered at a local hotel and enjoyed a great meal. 





Ramadan Kareem!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment