Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Little Lake House Family Trip

The Family Vacation…..A time honored tradition for many families.  As children, we piled into the minivan for what seemed to be an endless drive to reach our final destination.  Perhaps this is what began my early interest in travel.  This summer, my siblings and I planned a family trip to Michigan together.  It started as a belated birthday gift for my mother and turned out to be a gift to all of us as well.  We had an opportunity to relax, enjoy nature, catch up with one another, and laugh.  We traveled from Massachusettes, New York, Georgia, and Ohio.  Because of our large numbers, we had to search  all over to find a rental property that could accommodate about 14 people.  We found a spot in the little vacation town of Mears, Michigan around Silver Lake.  This website turned out to be a great resource for finding reasonably priced vacation rentals near the coast of Lake Michigan. 

Silver Lake with huge dunes in the background







I will admit that some of us were skeptical about going to a lake.  What is there to do?  Won't our kids be bored sitting around a lake and some sand dunes?  We were relieved to find out that there were enough activities to keep everyone happy.  We all had a surprisingly great time at the sand dunes.  We went swimming at Lake Michigan.  The kids found paddleboat and go-carts to enjoy.  In addition, there is just something calm and relaxing about the lake.  My father was happy to sit by the water with his fishing rod.  We all found ourselves keeping him company as well because it was just the perfect spot to be.  


our lake house rental accommodated 16 guest

sunrise

a family of swans joined us for a few minutes. 

this was our backyard for the weekend

I have been blessed to travel a lot in the past year to locations around the world.  I've taken 2 solo trips.  Those have all been special, but nothing compares to time with family.  I'm grateful that we made a conscious effort to come together for the weekend.  By the way, I don't have photos of their faces because I didn't get everyone's approval and I don't want them avoiding me every time I take out a camera in the future! 
We toured the large Sand Dunes in one of these scooters


cartwheels in the sand


The sand dunes really were beautiful

our kids were happy splashing around in the lake behind the house

fishing with Daddy





No comments:

Post a Comment