Saturday, January 2, 2016

My Inner Diva Can't Budget Travel With Me

Have you ever had to pee on a squat toilet? How about using a bathroom with no soap. Remember those ancient paper towel rolls that we no longer use in the states because they are simply breading grounds for bacteria? 
Umm no...I'll just air dry
I have encountered all of these things in Thailand.  I’ve been able to spend 2 weeks in Thailand by choosing budget friendly options.  It is very clear to me that when choosing budget friendly travel, you need to leave your inner diva at home. Like  me, you might not even think you are a "diva" until put to the test on the road.  When I use the term "diva" in this blogpost, i'm referring to individuals who travel and expect the local culture to cater to them. Here are some things I’ve done while travelling that I rarely, if ever, do at home.

I'm not being messy here.  This is how I let my clothes airdry in the hotel. 

1.     Laundry in the sink.  If your hotel offers laudry services, you must decide whether that is an expense you want to pay.  You can easily use liquid detergent or shampoo to wash out clothing and leave on your balcony to dry.





2.     Skip scented lotion and scented body spray.  I traded these items for sunblock and insect repellent.  I chose to skip anything that was just going to attract more bugs to me. During a conversation with an expat living in Thailand, she shared this statement “ I think the national perfume of Thailand is citronella. Everyone tries to keep the bugs away.”
these little geckos hung out on the walls of the open air restaurant

this little cat sat at the door of my bungalow for a whole day



3.     Accept that cats/dogs/ lizards/ and various bugs are going to roam freely.  Don’t bother asking who the dogs or cats belong to.  In Thailand they seem to belong to the community or neighborhood rather than the individual.  You can skip the squealing fit if a gecko zips by your feet during dinner or a bug lands on the edge of your plate.  Lots of living and dining take place outdoors in tropical climates.  This is all a part of life in that environment.






4.     Come prepared with alternative foods or be willing to compromise if you have special dietary concerns.  In the USA, we accommodate gluten free, lactose intolerant, vegetarian, vegan, and even “there’s nothing wrong with me, I just want it how I want it”.  Restaurants cater to special dietary concerns.  Other parts of the world may not cater your needs.  Additionally, language barriers may prevent you from getting clear responses from the restaurant staff about ingredients in food.  You may find yourself repeating a lot of “safe” meals that can be found in most restaurants or supplementing your protein requirements with nuts or other alternatives if you are a vegetarian. 



5.     Watch both verbal and non-verbal cues when communicating.  Sometimes you just won’t understand the local language and the people you need to interact with don’t understand your language. I’ve bargained with Thai vendors using only a calculator.  They type in their starting price.  I give my “no way am I paying that” look and shake my head no.  I type in my much lower price.  We meet somewhere in the middle.  Remember that smiles are universal. Being an idiot is also understood universally.  Don’t be that obnoxious American or Westerner who gets angry and loud when English is not understood.  I don’t speak German. If you speak loud angry German to me, I still won’t understand German so why would this strategy work with English?  Remember that you are a guest in their country and you must treat local people with respect. 


The red towels next to the sink were shared by the parks 80 guest. If you want a paper towel option, bring your own. 

6.     Understand that your standards of hygiene are not universal.  I have stayed in two locations in which the bathroom was a large room that did not have any division between the shower and toilet.  The shower hose worked just fine.  It was just strange to have a toilet inches away while showering.  I’ve encountered squat toilets in a few countries.  You squat, handle your business, and remember that this is only temporary.  I also always try to take hand sanitizer, travel tissue packs, and wipes with me.  Sometimes bathrooms run out of toilet paper or soap if they have any to begin with.  Sometimes the towels provided for hand drying make you think you are dirtier after using them than before you started.  It is nice to have a plan B. 
infamous squat toilets





7. Be honest with yourself?  Some things that you encounter while traveling will not be ok for you.  It is ok to ask ahead of time if your hotel has staff that speaks your language.  I forgot to ask about this ahead of time when booking my last hotel in Thailand and felt anxious when the staff couldn't help me figure out how to get back to Bangkok in time for my return flight.  I didn't yell at the staff.  It was my responsibility to check this out ahead of time. When I read the reviews about this hotel later, several people commented that the local staff only spoke Thai.

 Ultimately, you have to consider your budget and priorities when traveling. Would you rather have a short stay with fancy accommodations or a longer stay with basic accommodations?  Each of us knows for ourselves.  Whatever type of experience you chose, try to enjoy it rather than constantly complaining and comparing it to home. Remember that you left home to experience different rather than more of the same.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog post! So glad you had a great experience & that you shared your learning with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog post! So glad you had a great experience & that you shared your learning with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. We really do have to remember these things. We Americans can be a tad bit spoiled. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahogany I literally had to tell myself to calm down when I wanted to start whining about how different things were sometimes. Thanks for reading.

      Delete