Sunday, December 13, 2015

The Elephant in the Room Wearing a Santa Hat


In America, December is often synonymous with Christmas.  Television shows have a holiday theme. Regular programming is exchanged for holiday movies.  Salvation Army bell ringers stand at retail stores and compel us to give as we enter and exit stores.  It is common to hear Christmas Carols playing as you do your shopping.  In schools, Santa photos are often an icon on the calendar.   In our politically correct day and age, teachers in US schools are taught to be sensitive to the fact that all children don’t celebrate Christmas.  We talk about how different holidays are celebrated during the month of December.  Christmas and Hanukkah themed lessons, crafts, and games are acceptable as long as they are assigned in moderation and have some educational value. 
My bulletin board features little penguins.  Penguins are an acceptable winter theme with no holiday association. 

I wondered what Christmas would be like in Kuwait.   This is a Muslim country.  There is no separation of church and state like there is in America, so the laws and holidays are guided by Muslim principals.  Christmas is not a holiday in Kuwait.  It is just a Friday.  I will not be working that week, because my school has a two week break this time of year, just like schools in America. However, Kuwait has a huge population of people like me.  This country is full of expatriates and immigrants who celebrate Christmas.  Non-Kuwaitis outnumber Kuwaitis here.  Therefore, we can find Christmas trees in stores for sale and hear Christmas carols playing in some British and American stores in the mall. 


I know I am biased saying this, but Christmas is just too awesome to be ignored completely.  Whether you recognize it as religious or secular, Christmas has fun associations for everyone.  There are songs, games, tasty treats, and movies.  There are crafts.  There are sleigh rides and holiday lights and crafts.  There is Santa!  My parents didn’t even tell us about Santa as children, but the legend was still fun!  I haven’t even gotten to family gatherings and presents yet.  All of that  is just the secular stuff.  Christmas is the holiday with the best songs EVER.  Let’s not forget the fact that it all began because of a Savior named Jesus in the first place.  God in the form of a man! A child who would save the world!



I’ve learned that most of my students know about Christmas.  Although 13 of my 15 students are Muslim, some of them even celebrate Christmas in one way or another.  I can tell them that it is a holiday that I celebrate, but we don’t teach them about it.  At my school, it is a bit like an elephant in the room.  The giant pine tree at the school entrance with ornaments on it is a “holiday tree”.   My kids took one look at it an said “oooh a Christmas tree!” The students have a concert in which they dress in red, green, and white, but it is a “Winter Concert”.   By the way, our kindergarten stole the show!  I just want to throw in that fact as a totally unbiased kindergarten teacher.


My school goes all out when it comes to holiday decorations.  Check out this festive "holiday" hallway 


my students are preparing for their Winter Concert


Our PSTO hosted a fabulous Winter Wonderland.  The event featured photos with Santa, train rides, decorating cookies with Mrs. Claus, inflatable slides, and an awesome snow room.  But don’t get confused.  It isn’t a Christmas Carnival. It’s a “Winter Wonderland”.  You can wish “Happy Holidays” to participants.  Just don’t say “Merry Christmas”.  I am really  tempted to question all of this and roll my eyes. But I have to remember that I am a guest in this country.  I certainly don’t make Christianity look more attractive by making fun of other’s practices.  I am just happy to get the dose of holiday cheer in whatever way is allowed.    For some of the parent’s of my Kuwaiti students, saying “Merry Christmas” may feel like a betrayal of their own faith practice.  Just as I would not want my children to be taught or coerced into saying Muslim prayers, I show them respect by not teaching their children Christmas songs and making December full of Christmas themed lessons in class.
The photos below are from our Winter Carnival
this classroom was transformed into a snowroom using bags of styrofoam balls.  It was a big hit with the kids!
   
A local man poses with holiday decorations and snow from a snowmaking machine at the Winter Wonderland. 




















I miss the Christmas season in America.  This year will be my first Christmas outside of Ohio.   Although I am not sad to be celebrating on a beach in Thailand, I will be sad to miss the fun and tradition of Christmas at home with my family.  As my journey continues, I just have to take a moment and express how grateful I feel.  I have such fond memories of my past Christmases.  I get to experience the holiday season in both Kuwait and Thailand this year.  It’s hard to imagine that I was just starting to toy with the idea of moving abroad this time last year. 


Merry Christmas!  No matter where you celebrate or how you celebrate, I wish you blessings!

They put me in charge of the selfie station! 

No comments:

Post a Comment