Thursday, December 17, 2015

Solo Trip to Thailand



I leave for Thailand tomorrow.  This will be my first long distance solo trip.  I've taken a lot of interest in travel blogging over the past year, and Thailand is a popular spot for people from all over the world.  Blogs like this www.nomadicmatt.com and www.oneikathetraveller.com  have influenced my decision to travel to Thailand.   I'm looking forward to beautiful beaches, cheap massages, and visiting elephants on this trip.


I've decided to keep my packing simple.  I will take 2 carry on bags and won't check any luggage.  I've taken huge bags before and forgotten what clothes I even had with me because I had so many clothes.  This is a casual, relaxing trip.  I've created a simple packing list for myself.

Eagle Creek Packing Cube
with 5 bottoms and a swimsuit.
  Tops
-2 tanks
-2 short sleeve tops
-1 long sleeve shirt
-1 long sleeve pullover jacket

Bottoms
-2 pair yoga pants
-1 skirt
- 2 pair shorts




Electronics
-conair travel smart converter
-chargers for various devices, back up charger
-cell phone
-Nook e-reader
-laptop
-selfie stick
-earbuds and headphones

Misc
-2 bras, 7 pair panties
-swimsuit
-1 nightgown
-tylenol AM & PM
-Pepto
-bandaids
-passport
-AAA international driver’s license
-1 bag powder detergent to wash clothing
-travel sized toiletry bag



I will arrive in Thailand on Saturday. In Bangkok, I'll visit local tourist spots including the Grand  Palace and floating markets.  On Monday, I'll fly to the island of Phuket (pronounced Poo-ket). From Phuket, I travel to a smaller Island called Koh Yao Noi. I'll participate in a weeklong Yoga Retreat.  I will have plenty of free time to explore the island, participate in optional excursions, get hour-long $10 massages, and relax on the beach.  I have a couple of unplanned days when I might explore the Island of Phuket.  I'll fly back to the mainland and travel by train to Kanchanaburi. Thailand has a big animal tourism industry.  People like to ride elephants and pet tigers.  I have read that some of the elephants are treated inhumanely in the locations where they give tourist rides all day.  I'm going to pass on riding the elephants, but I will visit a sanctuary for old and abused elephants call Elephants World. 


I will end my trip with a super-long layover in Sri-Lanka as I return home on January 1st.  I will try to write a post or two while I am gone.  Merry Christmas! Safe travels! 



2 comments:

  1. Have a safe & enjoyable trip Janeen! Take lots of great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a safe & enjoyable trip Janeen! Take lots of great pictures!

    ReplyDelete