Saturday, August 29, 2015

Different than in the USA

When you move across the world, some things are bound to be different.  There are enough familiar items  here to make me feel at home.  Here are some of the things that are new to me.

My Washer/Dryer Combo



This is my washing machine.  It is also a dryer.  The first "different" thing to me about this item is that it is located in the kitchen.  The idea of a combo washer/dryer unit sounds pretty genius. Especially for people who live is small spaces.  I'm guessing this machine isn't popular in the states because of it's flaws.  It can take up to 4 hours to complete a wash cycle. I have used it on a quick wash cycle which only takes 30 minutes.  The shortest dryer cycle is about just over 1 hour, and it leaves clothes damp.  I use the 3hour 31minute dryer cycle for best results.  As you can imagine, washing clothes can be a full day affair.  The machine gets pretty noisy too.  The spin cycle sounds like a space ship preparing for take off.  I tried to attach a video but it didn't work:(.



this item is also in my kitchen.  I have no idea what it is.  I keep forgetting to ask friends when I leave the house.  If you know what it is, tell me in the comments.

Bidet Hoses

This is the toilet in my bathroom. Yes we have toilets in the United States.  Notice the spray hose next to the toilet.  These bidet hoses are next to all of the toilets here.  Yup, I've tried them.  I use the one in my apartment as a "pre-clean" before the toilet paper.  I refuse to use these in public.  The idea of sharing the germs of the many who have used the hose before me is ....well...gross.  


Call to Prayer and Prayer Rooms
this mosque is across the street from my apartment building


these signs seem to be as common in public places as bathroom signs


Kuwait is a Muslim country.  There are mosque everywhere.  One of them is located across the street from my apartment and I hear the call to prayer at different times throughout the day.  The call sounds like arabic singing in surround sound.  I don't pay very much attention to it now as I've gotten used to it.  I'd like to make a practice to stop and say my own prayers when I hear this call so that I can remember that God is in control.   Thankfully, this call doesn't wake me up at night. Some of my friends at work still wake up nightly when it sounds at 4am.   In airports, shopping malls, grocery stores etc. I have noticed the signs for prayer rooms.  I'm not sure if individuals are supposed to go prayer at the times when they hear the call or if the call serves as a reminder to get your prayers in 5 times daily.  I will have an opportunity to ask at some point.  My students will have Islamic studies 2-3 times per week in school, as required by the law here.  No, I don't teach it.  I may have to listen in on some of the content so that I can have some of my questions answered.  I can also ask new friends and coworkers who are practicing Muslims to see how their practices vary.  

The Weekends

It is Saturday night.  Tomorrow I go to work.  Weird huh?  Weekends throughout the Middle East are on Friday and Saturday.  I no longer have jet lag. Yay!  I still struggle with keeping up with what day of the week it is.  This going to work on Sunday and planning on my calendar in general are taking some getting used to.  



Grocery Shopping
This is like an escalator without stairs.  You can take your entire grocery cart to different floors in the store. 

dairy aisle

cereals

Grocery shopping is an event for me here.  I have had to be more deliberate about adding things to my shopping list since I don't have a car to use for any quick milk runs.  I went grocery shopping this morning and found many of the brands that I am used to seeing along with middle eastern brands.  Shopping requires a lot more concentration for me here.  Most labels are in both Arabic and English.  They have standard dairy, produce, meat etc sections.  Everything doesn't flow in the same format that I am used to.  For example, I passed peanut butter today and jellies and jams were not in the same aisle. I didn't need either product, but that is just one example of how the flow of things are different.  In the produce section, you are supposed to visit a counter to have your items weighed as they don't have scales at the cash register.  I held up a line today while a guy ran back to do this for me and the cashier explained the progress to me asking "You are new to Kuwait right?"The stores I have visited have been 2-3 floors.  Some of them are similar to a Target or Walmart with household items, electronics, and clothing.  It is also not unusual for the store employees to take items items my cart, place them on the conveyor belt, bag the groceries, and push the cart to the car to help me unload.  I do tip.  Today a man walked around with me to help me find my bus pushing the shopping cart behind me in 120 Farenheit.  I didn't even want to be outside for more than 5 seconds and he was doing this for people all day.  

This is all I have for you today.  I'll write about more when I think up more.  Thanks for reading:)





4 comments:

  1. That pipe in the kitchen is filtered water that you're 'supposed' to be able to drink. I wouldn't advise doing that, though. 😳

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mekia. It looks a little rusty, so I'm not in a hurry to try it out

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing! I am living vicariously through your experiences! Besides grocery shopping & going to the mall, what have you done for fun/recreation while there? You know I'm all about a social calendar (too much so sometimes). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trinita I haven't had time to really build up a social calendar. I'm still researching my options. I'm going to a Zumba class this weekend, and I'm excited to meet people who don't work and live with me:)

      Delete