Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Delayed Departure, Dessert Social, and Yarn Twist

Do you like my random title?  These things are somewhat related in a roundabout way.  First I'd like to share that my hometown friends and family are amazing people!  I rolled my weary self into town this Thursday evening and got a loving call from a family friend, Mrs. Barry, wishing me well and asking if we could see one another in person.  This turned into some rushed planning of a dessert social.  My mom and sister Trudie spent hours baking and preparing this:
there was a lot more than this, but a photo can only capture so much


Well people come from all around when they hear that there will be good food and fellowship.  We had both!  I saw people that I hadn't seen in a very long time.  I have read a lot about moving abroad and life as an expat. Expat is an abbreviated term for expatriate and refers to someone who has moved away from his or her native land.  I have gotten used to the idea that people all over the world do this.  Although I have learned these things through my research, I forget that my move is still unique within my circle of family and friends.  I have some great expat role models in my life.  I am honored to be one for others.  I want to extend my thanks again to all who came by.  I appreciate every card, every hug, and every prayer and positive word extended. 


 I was initially scheduled to depart for Kuwait on Tuesday, August 11th.  My bags are packed.  I'm all ready to go.  Well,  my departure date is now postponed for about a week.  There was an issue with work visas and I cannot enter the country without a Visa.  I was somewhat disappointed to hear this news because I have been preparing myself emotionally for this move.  I am choosing to believe that all things happen for a reason.  I get a week to visit people I love and relax.  My grandmother's favorite phrase when I visit is "You don't have to hurry and go yet Dear."  Today,  I got to promise her that I will come back and visit again this week.  I get to see my great Aunt Candy!  I get to visit friends in Michigan! I am able to spend time with these little ladies:




And now to the Yarn Twist.  I spent about 6 hours on Friday putting yarn twist in my hair.  I figured I would give myself a low maintenance hairstyle, so that I have one less thing to worry about when I move.  Plus, I love a variety of hairstyles that are cute but require very little daily styling if any.  This was not a difficult style.  The middle is actually pre-twisted crochet Twist.  I ordered this from Amazon.com 

I put two rows of individual twist around the perimeter of my head.  The time consuming part of this project was cutting the pieces of yarn that I needed for the individual twist.  I also needed to burn each twist at the end to seal it.  Here is the finished result.  


Pros: It is a cute style.  It was not very difficult to achieve.  The crochet twist made this a lot less time consuming than full individual twist.  I used less than 1 skein of acrylic yarn around the perimeter which cost less than $3. 00.   

Cons: It's too HOT.  Did I mention that I am moving to a desert climate where the average temperature this week is 120 degrees?  With this in mind, I feel like I  have a sweater hanging from my head. I'm just sad that my style can't stay long term after I put the time and effort into it.  One other con is the fact that the many of the twist have become unraveled and I have had to burn them again.  Now we are getting back into the daily maintenance that I wanted to avoid in the first place.  Maybe God gave me an extra week in the states so that I can  get this sweater off of my head:) 







4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the new update. Like the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the new update. Like the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love riding the waves of your journey w/you vicariously! I can relate to hot hair; however, I can't believe YOU bought MORE HAIR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete